Digital scrapbooking has become increasingly popular in recent years, especially with the widespread availability of digital technology and the growing interest in preserving memories and moments in unique and creative ways. Many people find digital scrapbooking to be a fun and convenient alternative to traditional paper-based scrapbooking, as it allows them to easily add, manipulate, and share their photos with loved ones easily. As a result, I often get asked how to make a digital scrapbook.
Why Choose Digital Scrapbooking
There are several reasons why someone might choose to do digital scrapbooking, including:
- Convenience. Digital scrapbooking allows you to easily store, organize, and access your scrapbook pages from any device, without having to worry about physical storage space or damage to your pages.
- Flexibility. Digital scrapbooking provides a wide range of tools and resources, such as templates, digital paper, and embellishments, that make it easy and fun to create scrapbook pages that are personalized and unique.
- Sharing. Digital scrapbooking makes it easy to share your scrapbook pages with friends and family, either online or by printing physical copies.
- Accessibility. Digital scrapbooking can be a great option for those with limited mobility or dexterity, as it eliminates the need for cutting, gluing, and handling physical materials.
- Affordability. Many digital scrapbooking software options are available for free or at a lower cost than traditional paper-based scrapbooking supplies, making it a more budget-friendly option.
- Environmental sustainability. Digital scrapbooking can also be a more environmentally sustainable option, as it eliminates the need for paper, adhesive, and other physical materials.
Overall, digital scrapbooking is a convenient, flexible, and creative way to preserve and share memories and moments in a unique and personalized way.
Additionally, digital scrapbooking provides a wide range of tools and resources, such as digital paper, embellishments, and templates, that make it easier and more enjoyable to create scrapbook pages without taking up a lot of physical storage space.
As a result, digital scrapbooking has grown into a thriving community, with many online forums, tutorials, and resources available to support and inspire scrapbookers.
How to Make a Digital Scrapbook
To make a digital scrapbook, you can follow these simple steps:
- Choose a digital scrapbooking app to use. There are many app options available, ranging from free to paid, with different features and capabilities. Choose one that meets your needs and is user-friendly.
- Gather your materials. You don’t need much other than your digital photos. However, you can also have other digital graphics and embellishments you wish to include on hand. Also decide if you want to include any journaling on your pages. If so, decide what information to include. It helps to have all these items in an easy to access folder on your device.
- Create a new scrapbook project. Open your chosen app and create a new scrapbook project. Choose the size and orientation for your scrapbook pages. Typical size is 12X12 or 8.5X11.
- Add a background. This step is optional but you will probably want to include a background that will match the theme of the photos or scrapbook you are creating. You can use a solid color background or choose a digital paper or pattern to use as the background for your scrapbook page. You can select from built-in options in the software, or import your own.
- Add photos. Use the app to import your photos into your scrapbook project and then arrange and position them on the page as desired. Some apps even provide premade layouts you can use.
- Add embellishments: You can add embellishments such as stickers, borders, and other decorative elements to your scrapbook page to make it more visually appealing.
- Add text. Add captions, journaling, or other text to your scrapbook page to tell the story of your photos.
- Save and share. Once you’re satisfied with your scrapbook page, save it. Some apps also allow you to export your scrapbook as a PDF or image file, so you can print it or share it with friends and family.
By following these steps, you can create a digital scrapbook that captures your memories and moments in a creative and personalized way.
Which Digital Scrapbooking App Should You Use?
If you are unsure of which app you should use to create your digital scrapbook check out the ones listed below to see if they may be a fit for you.
- Skrappify – Skrappify is an app for Android that will allow you to add photos, videos, texts, stickers, frames, and beautiful backgrounds.
- Project Life – Scrapbooking – Another app for Android, Project Life, makes digital scrapbooking easy by offering premade templates for your scrapbook projects. All you have to do is add your photos.
- Digital Scrapbooking – Scrapbook Layouts & Ideas – This digital scrapbooking app is available for the Apple store for iOS devices that is a little different from others. The app allows you to make “scrapbooking cards” that are very similar to scrapbooking pages. Once created you can share and send them to others.
- Canva – Canva is an app you can use on any device that allows you to create a wide array of projects including scrapbooking pages. There are thousands of layouts, backgrounds, and embellishments you can add to your digital scrapbooking pages for free. Once done, you can easily share your pages or download high quality print versions.
- Procreate – Procreate is another iOS app you can use for digital scrapbooking or any other type of digital art. Procreate itself does not come with any scrapbooking layouts, elements, backgrounds, etc. However you can import any images and graphics. Just doing a quick internet search for “scrapbook elements for procreate” will result with a number of downloads you can use – some free and some paid.
These are just a few of the many digital scrapbooking app options available. It’s important to choose an app that meets your needs and is user-friendly, so you can easily and effectively create digital scrapbook pages.
The best way to get started with digital scrapbooking is to just start. Since it’s all digital, it is always possible to easily go back and make any changes at any time in the future.